Seed, Feed and Weed to Succeed In my earlier article I used the sports management analogy to make the case for actively managing the skills, skill levels and composition of your team. In this Weed and Seed Strategy This report presents an overview on the Weed and Seed Strategy developed under the U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Weed and Seed, a multi-agency initiative Question: How many weed seeds do you need to grow a plant? Here you find all the answers about the number of seeds you need to grow a nice weed plant!
Seed, Feed and Weed to Succeed
In my earlier article I used the sports management analogy to make the case for actively managing the skills, skill levels and composition of your team. In this note I’ll discuss the topic of how to manage those activities. For this, we’ll leave sports and use a gardening analogy.
Even a novice gardener would not expect to rake some soil, throw some seeds, pray for rain and wait for a beautiful garden. Your team is no different; you must undertake the same activities in managing your team as you would in creating a successful garden.
Selecting the right flowers for our garden means paying attention not only to how they look, but how they will interact with the other flowers in our garden; will they steal too many nutrients or will the soil properly support their needs?
Managers in hyper-growth companies spend a lot of time interviewing and selecting candidates but usually not very much time on a per candidate basis and even less time pondering where they’ve gone wrong in hiring in the past. Finding the right individual for your job means paying attention to your past failures in hiring and correcting them. We might interview for skills, but overlook critical items like cultural or team fit. Why have you had to remove people? Why have people decided to leave?
Candidate selection also means paying attention to the needs of the organization from a productivity and quality perspective. Do you really need another engineer or product manager, or do your pipeline inefficiencies indicate additional process definition needs, tools engineers or quality assurance personnel?
One final point here is that far too often we try to make hiring decisions after we’ve spent 30 minutes to an hour with a candidate. We encourage you to spend as much time as possible with the candidate and try to make a good hire the first time. Seek help in interviewing or add people whom you trust and whom have great interviewing skills to your interview team to increase your chances of a good hire the first time. Call previous managers and peers and be mindful to ask and prod for weaknesses of individuals in your background checks.
Feeding your garden means spending time growing your team. Of all the practices in tending to your team, this is the one that is most often overlooked for lack of time.
The intent of feeding is to help grow the members of your team who are producing to the expectations of your shareholders. Feeding consists of coaching, praising, correcting technique or approach, adjusting compensation and equity and anything else that creates a stronger and more productive employee.
Feeding your garden also means taking individuals who might not be performing well in one position and putting them into positions where they can perform well. However, if you find yourself moving an employee more than once it is likely that you are avoiding the appropriate action of weeding.
Also, feeding your garden means raising the bar on the team overall and helping them achieve greater levels of success. Great teams enjoy great but achievable challenges and it’s your job as a manager and executive to challenge them to be the best they can be.
While you should invest as much as possible in seeding and feeding, we all know that underperforming and nonperforming individuals choke team productivity just as surely as weeds steal vital nutrients from the producers within your garden. The nutrients that are being stolen in this case are the time that you spend attempting to coach underperforming individuals to an acceptable performance level and the time your team spends compensating for an underperforming individual’s poor results.
Weeding our gardens is often the most painful activity for most managers and executives and as a result it is often the one to which we tend last.
While you must abide by your company’s practices regarding the removal of people who are not performing (these practices vary not only by country but very often by state), it is vital that you find ways to quickly remove personnel who are keeping you and the rest of your team from achieving your objectives. The sooner you remove them, the sooner you can find an appropriate replacement and get your team where it needs to be.
Weed and Seed Strategy
This report presents an overview on the Weed and Seed Strategy developed under the U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Weed and Seed, a multi-agency initiative in crime control and prevention.
Operation Weed and Seed was developed in 1991 by the U.S. Department of Justice as a strategy based on four fundamental principles: collaboration, coordination, community participation, and leveraging resources with a multi-agency approach to law enforcement, crime prevention, and neighborhood restoration. The approach is two-fold. First, law enforcement agencies and prosecutors must work together to “weed out” criminals from a specific target area. Then, the “seeding” process begins and brings prevention, intervention, treatment, and neighborhood revitalization services to the area. The Weed and Seed Strategy requires some key elements: (1) a steering committee to offer a governing structure for the initiative and (2) a strategic plan developed by assessing community problems and needs, sound resolutions and responses, and obtaining the necessary resources and participation. Today, Weed and Seed has grown to more than 300 high-crime neighborhoods across the country.
How Many Weed Seeds do You Need to Grow a Plant?
To grow weed, you need high quality marijuana seeds. But how many seeds do you need to grow weed? And then there’s the question: how many marijuana plants do you want to grow?
This ultimately determines how many seeds you need. Based on your wishes, you calculate the number of marijuana seeds you need.
How many seeds do you need to grow weed?
Basically, you need one cannabis seed per weed plant. After all, from one seed a single plant grows. However, it is possible that not every seed germinates. After all, you are dealing with a natural product. It is therefore advisable to have an extra seed on hand.
Factors that determine the number of seeds per plant
So, what if you plan to grow five plants and one or more seeds don’t germinate? Then you won’t achieve the intended yield, and you have to purchase seeds again. It’s therefore wise to use several seeds per plant.
In order to calculate exactly how many cannabis seeds you need, you have to take two determining factors into account:
Type of seed (regular or feminized)
In this blog, we assume that you buy cannabis seeds for growing cannabis. For this, you can choose between regular seeds or feminized cannabis seeds. Both types differ from each other and have an influence on the final result. The differences are explained below.
With regular cannabis seeds, the genus of the plant has not yet been determined. When choosing regular seeds, the chance that the seed will develop into a female plant is about 60%. The chance that the seed develops into a male plant is therefore 40%. And because male plants do not produce buds (read: marijuana), you need several marijuana seeds to increase the chance that you will eventually grow a female plant.
With feminized cannabis seeds, you don’t have the risk of a flowering male plant. Because female seeds produce 99.9% of a female weed plant. This is why most growers choose feminized seeds or autoflowering seeds
Autoflowering seeds are basically feminized seeds, but have the advantage that they flower automatically (read more about the difference between feminized cannabis seeds and autoflower seeds). However, feminized seeds are more expensive than regular seeds. Depending on your budget and growing skills, you will choose the type of weed seed.
In addition to the type of cannabis seed, nature always has an influence on the germination process. After all, the cannabis seed is a natural product and this means that not every seed is viable and germinates.
From experience, we know that 93% of the cannabis seeds grow into a plant. This is of course a very high success rate, but not 100%. So you will have to use extra seeds in order to have the certainty of eventually becoming a weed plant.
We therefore advise you to take into account an average germination percentage of 90% when calculating the number of seeds you need for your cultivation. This gives just that little extra certainty.
Reading tip: Our blog about ‘Germinating marijuana seeds’ explains how to optimize the success rate to 100%.
How many seeds does it take to grow weed?
Based on the above information, it’s quite easy to calculate how many seeds you need to grow weed. For your convenience, we have placed the results in the table below.